My homemade burger
Inspired by a post I read on Chubby Hubby on burgers, I decided to make burgers for dinner tonight (clearly on a much less posh scale).
Burgers have always been a bit hit and miss for me – they seem to turn out dry and I have struggled with getting the sort of flavour that you get in burger joints without overseasoning the meat or without lashings of sauce in the bun. And getting good (or sometimes any) burger buns easily in Singapore is also a challenge.
So I decided to give them another try and just go with what I could get my hands on in the supermarket.
The one thing that I did take from Chubby Hubby’s post was to mix beef and pork mince together instead of just beef. The end result of what I’m about to write below was excellent – a juicy and tasty burger – hurrah ! Not bad for a Wednesday night dinner at home.
Ingredients (makes about 6 generous patties) (ps these measurements are as close as I can make them especially the seasoning so adjust to taste)
- 300g beef mince
- 100g pork mince
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg (raw)
- handful mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tbs steak sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix everything together with your hands (so satisfying)
- Shape into palm-sized patties (I made them to fit the buns I bought from the supermarket) and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes
- Fry in a pan for 2-3 minutes each side (for the thickness shown in the photo above)
- While patties are cooking, lightly toast the buns
- Top the pattie with whatever you want – we had lettuce, tomato sauce, mustard and pickles but you could add cheese, onion jam or even just onion rings