This easy and delicious cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my favourites.
Ingredients (to make a 19cm cake with extra mix to make 2 cupcakes)
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup poppyseeds
- 180g softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 100g cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 19cm cake pan and line base with baking paper.
- Place milk in a bowl and stir in poppyseeds. Stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and pale.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Gently fold in zest, juice and poppyseed mixture.
- Sift flour and baking powder over top and fold in.
- Spoon mixture into pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a plate.
- For the icing, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and lemon juice and beat until thick and creamy. Frost cake once the cake is completely cooled.