I bought some bananas last week that I didn’t get around to eating, and so decided to keep them till they were really ripe (ie black) and make banana bread.
I’ve made banana breads before using various recipes and the last one I made had so much butter in it that when I toasted a slice, to my horror, you could hear it sizzling. Needless to say that loaf went into the bin, and so this time I went in search of a healthier version that was still moist without so much butter, and also tasty. I found one on joy of baking and it uses oil instead of butter and yoghurt to keep the bread moist. I also cut down the sugar because the super ripe bananas give added natural sweetness.
You can add walnuts for added good fats as well as a nice nutty flavour that works well with bananas, and a slice with a cup of tea would be a great healthy way to start the day.
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas – the blacker the better)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup low fat yoghurt
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (you can substitute 1/2 cup wholemeal flour or add wheat germ for added fibre and nutrients)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line a 20cm x 10cm loaf pan with baking paper
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the baking soda and yoghurt. Allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the batter
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla
- In another large bowl, sift the flours, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt
- Combine the banana mixture with the oil mixture and then add to the flour mixture.
- Stir until all ingredients are just combined. This is important so you don’t release the gluten in the flour which will make your bread heavy. You want to keep it light so that it will rise.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 mins until the top is golden brown and a toothpick (or uncooked spaghetti stick) comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.