Honestly. Do not even bother with any other recipe. It’s apparently all about the resting of the dough for at least 24 hours that makes this cookie magical. Add the use of Valrhona chocolate discs, French butter and a sprinkle of Maldon salt on the top of the cookie and how on earth can you go wrong ?
This recipe (adapted from the NY Times – my recipe below uses less sugar and butter) makes a mountain of dough and I like smaller cookies, but just make it once and freeze individual scoops in freezer bags for warm cookies with a big mug of tea any time you want.
Time: 45 minutes plus at least 24 hours for resting dough
Ingredients (makes about 30 3-inch cookies – see freezing tip above)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 500g bittersweet chocolate – broken, chopped if not in discs. Buy the best you can and at least 60 percent cocoa content
- Sea salt flakes
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds
- Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them
- Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
- Take out dough about 30 minutes before you’re ready to bake and preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Scoop mounds of dough (the size of golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft – about 18 minutes
- Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes
- Enjoy warm !