I hope you all had a fun-filled and happy start to the new year !!
The last few weeks of 2012 saw the silly season in full swing in our household and whilst I had a ball on Monday night with my friends, I think I would be happy to be booze-free for at least a few weeks (I can’t even fathom a whole month of not drinking), lighter food and more home-cooked meals – and thought I’d start the year at least eating healthily.
I think the earthiness of these ingredients makes it a more substantial salad than a green leafy salad – it’s filling and full of goodness that will keep you feeling satiated until it’s time for your next meal. The pomegranate molasses adds a wonderfully rich sweetness to the dressing.
Carolyn’s new year salad of lentils and quinoa with balsamic and pomegranate molasses dressing
Ingredients serves 2
- handful puy lentils
- handful of uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- sprig of thyme
- handful of swiss brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
- small handful 0f cherry or baby roma tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado (or 1 if you love them)
For the dressing:
- 2 tbls balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbls good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp pomegranate molassas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils and quinoa in the chicken stock and thyme, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are tender and the quinoa germ has spiralled out
- Drain and discard the stem of thyme
- Let cool slightly then mix together with the mushrooms, tomatoes
- I add the avocados on top just because I want them to not be too mushy
- For the dressing, add all ingredients to a jar, and mix well