In the middle of one of my twice annual detoxes, I was in the mood for a simple pasta dish. I’ve found some really good organic brown rice pastas and also buckwheat pastas, which are detox-friendly, as well as having the added bonus of being gluten-free.
This dish is so quick and simple – perfect weekday dinner or double the quantity and you can have the leftovers as a pasta salad for lunch the next day.
Ingredients for one serving – adjust accordingly for more
- 3/4 cup dry spiral organic brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets – no stems
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I love garlic so feel free to use less)
- good squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to packet directions in salted water
- When pasta is almost cooked, add the broccoli for a 30 seconds and drain – save about half a cup of the pasta water
- Sautée the garlic in a hot pan with some oil till soft
- Add the drained pasta and broccoli and toss in the garlic and oil – add a few spoons of the pasta water to help loosen the pasta up. The starchy water will help to give the pasta a nice silky texture
- Squeeze the lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot for dinner
- If you want to keep the leftovers for lunch the next day, add a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and pop into the fridge for a yummy pasta salad