I’m so happy – I found kale ! After reading all your posts about how delicious it is, and how wonderfully nutritious it is, and the amazing recipes you share (eg kale chips which are being made as I type this), I FINALLY FOUND KALE. We went to Pasar Bella yesterday and bought an entire trunkfull of delicious meats, cheese and vegetables.
Today for lunch I made a vibrant, bursting-full-of-goodness soup, with a smoked bacon stock – making it bursting-full-of-flavour soup.
Again soups like this can be entirely adjusted depending on what vegetables you have handy in the fridge – I used yellow and purple carrots and the leaves of purple and green kale. The quinoea gives the soup an added protein boost.
Ingredients serves 6 for lunch or as a starter at dinner
- 400g smoked bacon bones
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1-2 bay leaves
- large handful kale leaves, stalks removed, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw quinoea
- Brown the bacon bones on medium-high heat in a large, heavy-based saucepan
- Remove from pan reduce heat to medium and soften the onions for 5 minutes
- Add the celery and carrots and soften, an additional 5 minutes
- Add the bacon back to the pan, add the bay leaves
- Add water so that everything is just covered, and simmer on low for 2 hours
- Remove the bay leaves
- Add the quinoea and continue to simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the kale leaves and simmer for a final 5 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper